Friday, August 8, 2014

Vintage Pinafore // Simplicity 7197

I am very slowly sewing through my vintage patterns. I have quite a few girls dresses that are size 4 (vintage patterns come one size to an envelope) and I want to make them for M before she grows out of this size!
This pinafore is adorable! It can be worn over a shirt or in its own. It is a perfect dress for summer and a great transition to fall with layers. 
The floral fabric on the bodice is from a vintage sheet and the pink linen and stripe fabric are also vintage. I love finding fabric at estate sales! Oh, and how cute are these saltwater sandals? I also found them at an estate sale, brand new, for $1! I was so excited.
The bodice has a full facing as does the waistband. The pattern called for some hand stitching for these pieces but I chose to use the machine. It was much quicker. It buttons up the back and there's an option for ties on the sides. M was dissapointment that the buttons were green but I'm trying to sew with only my stash and use what I have on-hand. Luckily she forgot about the green buttons after she put it on.
The only change I made was to lengthen the skirt. Shorter skirts were definitely the style in the 50s, 60s and 70s and while I think it's adorable, I just like her skirts to be at least at her knees. 
She loves it but did ask me why the sleeves were so big! I love those big, ruffled sleeves. And I love the square neck too. I think I'm going to try to figure out how to add an additional piece to the bodice, for more coverage on the sides. 
I can't wait to sew from another of my vintage patterns. It is so fun!

I sewed a dress, for myself, from a 70's pattern and let's just say that it kind of looks like a muu-muu! But more on that another time.

4 comments:

Rachel Reeves said...

EMBRACE THE MUMU!!!

Renee // nearest the pin said...

Lovely April! Vintage yet totally fun and wearable :)

Inder-ific said...

Oh hey!! I made this exact pattern for Maggie a while back! SOOOOO CUTE. Love a ruffled pinafore. http://www.inderlovesfolkart.com/2013/09/pinafore.html

I also made the little dress, but it pretty much looks like a nightie on its own. Very cute with the pinny on top though.

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

A girl after my own heart as I love pinafores and have a similar pattern.This one you made is just adorable!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin