Sunday, July 20, 2014

A Birthday Shirt // McCalls 6044

Well, it only took me about a year but I finally sewed a shirt for my husband. And it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! 
Each holiday that came around I would say (to myself) I'm going to sew him the shirt. I've had the pattern cut, fabric and I even made a muslin (to check the fit) about 8 months ago! He (lovingly) kept giving me a hard time about sewing something for him so when his birthday was rolling around, I decided now was the time.

I finished it up just in time for him to wear to the OC Fair. That way I could sneak pictures of him wearing it without having him awkwardly pose for me. We had a lot of fun with the kids. Rides, monster trucks, pictures in the photo booth and our fun ended with H throwing up on me. Quite an event and he is much better! But let's talk more about the shirt.
The Pattern: McCalls 6044, View A (the most basic version)
Size: XL. Sizing in the shoulders, neck and chest is great. I think I'll take in the side seams a bit next time.
Fabric: A very lightweight shirting fabric from Michael Levine Loft
Alterations: Instead of the curved hem I cut it straight across
I was surprised at how quick this came together and how easy the instructions were to follow. I was proud at myself for easing in the sleeves with minimal gathering. I did run into a bit of trouble when attaching the collar but I was able to fix it so there weren't too many small puckers. I stole the buttons from a shirt he no longer wears and my machine sewed perfect button holes! 
I have a brown and white gingham fabric and I think I'll try a version that has a little more detailing for the next one. And pearl snaps. I think that will look great!
I also have these vintage patterns and I need to make him a few of these as well! 

I'm hooked on sewing for him now, it was so fun! 

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Yay...I need to get back to sewing for my husband! I love how this turned out and the fabric is perfect! Awesome work :)

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

Well done! The shirt looks great. my husband keeps on reminding me that I never sew for him... so maybe???

Renee said...

Looks great! such a nice color. the collar looks perfect too. menswear is so much more satisfying to finish than women's for some reason.

Brooke Crook said...

Great job April!! Love how this turned out. And so nice to sew something that won't be grown out of in a few months, right?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin