Monday, June 23, 2014

Pleated Pencil Skirt

This seems to be the year of sewing for myself and I must say that it's been fun! I have made quite a few things that go in the "to be worn when cleaning or gardening" pile and then a few winners. This skirt is definitely a winner. I was able to test this Pleated Pencil Skirt pattern by Delia Creates. I love this style of skirt and I have quite a few pencil skirts but I have only sewn knit ones in the past. This one is just as comfortable as the knit ones and that is very important to me.
I love learning new sewing techniques and this pattern taught me how to sew a kick pleat and a blind hem. Although, I did sew the hem incorrectly the first time but luckily fixed it and I'm in love. It makes it look much more professional. Actually, all the little touches she added to this skirt make it feel store bought! I did mess up my invisible zipper but I blame that on my cheap, generic plastic one that I used. I really need to invest in the real deal!
I don't normally wear my shirts tucked but I love the look of it. So I'll be wearing this skirt with a few different style tops, cardigans and of course my kimono.
 High waist, invisible zipper, fully lined, kick pleat, and blind hem all mean an amazing pencil skirt!
Pattern: Pleated Pencil Skirt by Delia Creates
Size: 8 but I think next time I will cut an 8 in the waist and grade it to a 10 in the hips just for a bit more wiggle room
Fabric: Unknown from SAS Fabrics but it does have a slight amount of stretch and is super soft

Go check out Delia's adorable versions. I'm in love the with gingham one she made!




4 comments:

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

April, the skirt looks fantastic on you! I too like it tucked in. Congrats :)

Heidi Polcyn said...

Wow! It is just gorgeous! You've got me thinking I should try this one :)

Renee said...

Oh so pretty - I love the blue color! It looks fabulous on you. I forgot about the blind hem - that was tricky. another technique learned :)

Inder-ific said...

Oh, wow!! Love it! This is the kind of outfit I would wear every. single. day. to work if I could just find enough pencil skirts to get me through the week!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin