Monday, May 5, 2014

Vintage Inspired Maxi Dress and Sew-a-bration of Womanhood

Hello! I'm so very excited to share this dress today! And also to be a part of the Sew-a-bration of Womanhood hosted by Shaffer-Sisters and Call Ajaire. I decided earlier this year that I would try to sew more for myself. Why should my kids be the only ones to have custom, unique clothes? Its a little harder (my back was so sore after hunching over my dining room table to pin and cut this very long dress, without the use of my rotary cutter!) and definitely takes more time (and fabric) but it is just so much fun being able to wear something that I have made.
I'm a fan of vintage. Vintage furniture, dishes, toys, and of course fabric and patterns. I scour estate sales looking for these things and I've been lucky quite a few times. I've had this 1970's pattern for a few years and I finally decided that I would buy fabric and start sewing!
Vintage patterns are normally one size, per envelope, and go by the bust measurement. This particular one was about two sizes too large for me. I knew that I would be making a few muslin's and I sure did! I had to take it in without losing the original flowy nature of the dress. I also was trying to adjust the bust darts. So many versions! I'm not completely satisfied with my final version and I'm trying to figure out how I can improve upon them for the next one.
Pattern: Vintage Vogue 8559 from the 1970's
Size: Original pattern was size 16 but it probably ended up between a 12 and 14
Fabric: Rayon challis in taupe with yellow polka dot--this fabric is amazing! It is so soft and flows so nice. However, it does wrinkle and I wish I would have gone with a darker color. Not the best choice with kids but its so pretty!
Alterations: I omitted the back zipper. The lower scoop neck made it easy to just pull on so I saved a step by taking that out and I'm happy I did.
Problems: The facing. This isn't lined so the pattern had me do a facing for both the neck and arms. It also had me use interfacing, which I ended up taking off (as much as I could). I felt that it was too stiff for this particular fabric and unnecessary. I under stitched the facing and ironed it as much as I could and it still flips out. I didn't want a seam line so I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix this little problem. Any advice?
I started laughing at this picture. My serious face and then M with a photo bomb! I had quite a few of these with both kids running through the shots. They wanted in on the photo shoot as well!
My husband came home just as I was finishing taking these pictures and took a few pictures of Miette and I. She had just opened her birthday dress and I'm so happy to have these special pictures.

Be sure to check back with Shaffer-Sisters and Call Ajaire for some amazing women and their stunning creations!

Also linking up with Simple Simon and Co. http://www.simplesimonandco.com/2014/05/saturday-sewing-simple-simon-company-linky-party-2.html

14 comments:

Magda E. said...

It was worth all the work you had because this dress is just amazing, from the shape, fit to the fabric choices.

Brianne Matlage said...

It turned out fabulous. beautiful work!

OnceUpona Sew said...

What a great use of a vintage pattern. The pictures turned out beautiful too.

Ajaire said...

That shape is absolutely amazing on you! Not everyone can pull off a loose maxi, but wow it's so good. I love the fabric too. The last picture is so special. I love how much you're smiling in that pic. Just a really lovely shot :)

Emily said...

Ooh pretty!

Shaffer Sisters said...

Beautiful. This dress looks great on you. What a beautiful natural looking photoshoot too. Great work and thank you for participating

Inder-ific said...

SO PRETTY! Try self-bias bindings around the neck and arms rather than facing. I hate bit bulky facings, I can never get them to lie right. Bias creates a nice smooth line and you can handstitch it down if you don't want it to show from the outside.

Shino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nuttablog.com said...

How beautiful! The dress, the fabric and your girl (and her dress!)!!

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

April, this dress is gorgeous! Yes, sewing for ourselves is so fun (although takes more time and fabric hehe). Well done altering the pattern to suit you! That photo bombimg... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Mae said...

This is a beautiful dress! Seeing everyone make themselves lovely garments makes me wish I could have done one too. Oh well, there's always next year right?

Stephanie @ Swoodson Says said...

Looks gorgeous and modern - I wouldn't have guessed it was a vintage pattern!

DolloMalice said...

That is such a beautiful dress. I love the vintage patterns. Isn't it nice sewing for ourselves sometimes?

Ren said...

Gorgeous, dress and model! Thanks for linking up to Inspire Us Thursday!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin