Sunday, May 18, 2014

Polka Dot Angie Dress

I just returned from the most relaxing vacation I have had in a very, very long time. My husband and I decided to go to Palm Springs to celebrate our 15 year anniversary (coming up on May 22nd!). We intended to plan a week long vacation but things just didn't work out so we decided on a few days in the desert instead. And it was perfect (though I do wish it was longer).
On our agenda for the weekend was to eat, sleep, swim, read. It was so relaxing and wonderful. And the place we stayed at was amazing. The weather was really nice as well, around 102 but it didn't feel too hot. Before we left for the weekend, I was sewing up a storm for myself. I decided that Palm Springs would be the perfect place to wear my new dress and take some photos as well! These are definitely different than what I normally take, mainly because there is actually someone behind the camera this time!
I sewed up the Angie Dress by Sis Boom Patterns and while I do love the finished product it took a lot of adjustments for me to get here! None of the mistakes were the fault of the pattern itself. Just me rushing and thinking I didn't need to make a muslin. I'm still getting my body back after being pregnant/nursing so I don't always trust my measurements. I feel like I should go with a larger size than what I measure--don't ask me why! So I cut out a size Medium for this dress. Tried on the bodice and thought it would fit. Nope. Way too big. I had to do lots of creative alterations to get it to fit better. Oh, and I thought it would be a great idea to add more width to the skirt for gathering. Turns out that looks adorable on a 4 year old who doesn't have hips but makes me look extra hippy! Lesson learned. Stick to the measurements I take of myself and to the measurements on the pattern, at least for the first time around.

I love the scoop neck, the pockets (of course!) and that it can slip on/off without any buttons or zipper. It was simple to sew though it did take longer than I thought it would, because of the bias tape on the neckline and arms. 

I cut out the lowest neckline and after adding the bias tape it ended up a little too low for me. Fine for going out but not so good for running around, picking up the kiddos, etc. I also had trouble getting one side to lie flat. Perhaps because it was initially too big?

I'm definitely going to sew another one but this time using the correct size!
My husband decided to take some action shots instead of me just standing there smiling and I have to say that I love how they turned out! The fabric is a cotton lawn and I want to make everything out of this amazing fabric from now on. Its lightweight, doesn't wrinkle, drapes wonderfully and is so wonderful to wear! It is a little shear but I can wear a slip under it so no problem.

When driving home we had to stop at Cabazon and take a few pictures with the famous Dinosaurs (recognize them from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?)! It was so windy but was fun to see these guys up close.
 Fun weekend, fun dress. Did you do anything fun this weekend? Or did you get any sewing done?

2 comments:

Beth Shibley said...

Glad you were able to get away. What a GREAT dress!

Kathy Hennessy said...

The dress looks great. I find Sisboom patterns run a tad big, too. Good reminder that we should be doing a muslin. I, too, find that tedious! I would love for you to share at my linky party at http://handmadedresshaven.blogspot.com/2014/05/sew4me-tuesdays.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin