Saturday, May 3, 2014

Butterfly Birthday {Caroline Party} Dress

Hello! Well, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my blog. I went back and added some photos to recent posts and it looks like I'll be staying here a bit longer. Don't want to rush a new blog like I did with this one! But enough about that. On to the birthday dress!
Miette turned four on Friday. She is growing up so fast and is just an amazing little girl. She loves dressing up and so I decided to make her a very special dress for her birthday. She loves butterflies and I stumbled across this fabric and knew it would be perfect!

I was taking pictures of myself in a dress recently finished sewing (more on that next week!) and thought it would be fun to take some pictures with her too. So I let her open her gift and she was so excited. The fit is perfect and she's been wearing it daily. I love that!
Pattern: The Caroline Party Dress by Mouse House Creations
Size: 5
Style: Basic bodice, underskirt, fully lined, invisible zipper and tulle
Fabric: Chasing butterflies in the wind (Catnap) by Lizzy House for Andover.

I modified the skirt portion by adding width so it would gather more and that in addition to the underskirt and tulle make a wonderful, poofy, twirly dress! The zipper gave me some trouble and it doesn't line up but I took it out twice and that's all I had the patience for.
Oh, and there was some piping on the bodice but apparently I miscalculate my seam allowance. Because when I sewed the bodice to the skirt I accidentally sewed the piping so you couldn't see it! I didn't want to take it out so I just went with it. Still love it!

I'm excited to see what this year brings for my girl!


Linking up with Simple Simon and Co. http://www.simplesimonandco.com/2014/05/saturday-sewing-simple-simon-company-linky-party-2.html

6 comments:

Shaffer Sisters said...

Beautiful Girl & Beautiful Momma. I love these pictures of the two of you. Great job April.
With Love,
Scary

Renee Williams said...

Those twirly photos are just perfect!! I love this version of the Caroline dress April. Happy birthday Miette :)

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

Happy B'Day Miette :) Perfect dress for little girls that like dressing up :)

Beth Shibley said...

It's beautiful!

Inder-ific said...

Don't give up on your blog!!! NOOOO!!

I love this dress, and I can tell she does too!

OnceUpona Sew said...

Happy Birthday! May 4 be a wonderful year for her. Beautiful dress.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin