Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sewing from Vintage Patterns: Maxi Dress

I have quite a few vintage patterns, that I've collected from estate sales. Women's, girls, a few men's and only one boys pattern. I have sewn with only two so far and I'm trying to make an effort to sew with more!

I started searching for non-knit maxi skirt patterns. Then I remembered I had some maxi dress patterns. And here they are!

Simplicity 8497: From the 60's, this beautiful dress. I would sew the more simple version, view 3 shown in blue. It has a braided trim, v shaped opening, slight empire waist and gathered skirt.

Vogue 8559: Or, from the 70's, this full flowing long dress with a sash. It has a scoop neck, optional ruffle at the neck and a back zipper. The sash helps to hold in the fullness of this loose-fitting slightly tent shaped dress.

I ordered some rayon challis in taupe with small yellow dots. I've never sewn with challis and I hope it's nice! It was so hard to choose fabric for this dress. I didn't want it to be too bold or bright. Even though I was attracted to some floral and aztec prints, I know that if its simple I will wear it more. But I hope these colors won't look to bland! 

So, what version do you think? I'm leaning towards the flowy one from the 70's.

I can't wait to get my fabric. I also ordered some Swiss dot lawn in a spring green and a black and white dot lawn. Guess I was in the mood for polka dots!

3 comments:

Renee // nearest the pin said...

Wow -these patterns look amazing. I'm preferring the red one I think.... I'll be interested to hear about how difficult these vintage patterns are to sew with. Looking forward to seeing the finished skirt!!

OnceUpona Sew said...

I think I would lean toward the second too, though the first has potential. Your brave vintage sewing with womens patterns. I'm excited to see what your make!

Inder-ific said...

I'm going to say the second one - those nice simple lines will never look "dated." The first one is super intriguing though ... I am envisioning it in plain black rayon challis with no trim at all. Daring neckline!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin