Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lesson Learned.

You may have noticed that all my images are missing. Well, here's the story.

I joined Google+. I didn't read or research anything about it and was always viewing it from my phone. I decided to figure out how to use it. The first thing I did was delete every photo album it created for me. I didn't know all those albums were private and they contained every photo that had ever been on my blog. Oh, close to 800.

Here's the message I received when deleting the albums.

Turns out that deleting those private albums deleted every photo from my blog. No warning. No message telling me that this will also delete the photos from past blog posts. No way of retrieving those photos.

I'm sad. But I'm definitely not going to spend time finding pictures and putting them back on each post. I would much rather spend time sewing! I enjoy blogging but I enjoy sewing so much more.

I have all the original photos saved on my computer and an external hard drive so I'm happy about that!

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm looking at this as a fresh start. When I started this blog, it was all about food and cooking. Then it transitioned into sewing. I kept the Modern Foodie URL but quickly thought of a name that encompassed more. Modern Handmade. I'm not in love with that name and I'm not sure it is really me. I guess I'm starting from scratch. I think. Maybe. To be honest, I'm not sure. But I do know that until I figure it out, I'll be sewing!

There are definitely worse things that could happen in life so I'm trying not to dwell on this and just move forward! 

3 comments:

Renee // nearest the pin said...

OMG April - I'm speechless....every blog post.....all that work!! You must be heartbroken. You still have the original photos? Good luck with rebuilding - I'm sure it will be even more fabulous.

OnceUpona Sew said...

Ugh. Just Ugh. I still can't even believe these things were so tightly linked. I'm so glad nothing was lost at least, which reminds me I'm due for a photo backup. Best of luck with your rebrand.

Inder-ific said...

OMG!!! I would fucking cry. CRYYYYYYY.

I had a horrible evening a couple years ago, when Google (which I use for every.thing.) decided to block me and I pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth. http://www.inderlovesfolkart.com/2011/10/inder-who.html

Incidentally, this is one reason out of many that a lot of people platform their photos off Flickr and such - it provides an extra layer of protection. This is so horrible.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin