Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Clover Shorts and Persimmon Tunic: Willow and Co. Patterns

I'm sure you have been seeing all the amazing outfits that the testers have been sewing, from the upcoming Willow and Co. Patterns Wanderlust Collection. I was so excited to test these patterns. All the designers are so sweet and creative. And how adorable are all the patterns? The collection includes boys, girls and unisex patterns.

Lately Miette only wants to wear skirts or dresses. But sometimes a pair of shorts are necessary. 
The clover shorts are designed by Hayley from Welcome to the Mouse House and Mouse House Creations. There are so many ways to customize these. With a sash, ruffled waistband, more button tabs, using different fabrics as contrast trim, the list goes on and on. I kept these simple since most of her tops have a pattern and I wanted to be able to wear these with more than one shirt.  
I picked up this Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in Red by Robert Kaufman at my local discount fabric store for $2/yard. Amazing! And they are perfect for these shorts. I sewed size 5 and they are a little big and I know she will grow into them very quickly.
I wasn't sure if I would have time to test the Persimmon Dress/Tunic (also designed by Mouse House Creations) but I am sure glad I was able to fit it in. I decided to make the basic tunic version to go with the clover shorts. There is a dress option as well as a ruffled tunic/dress which looks adorable! Again, the design lends itself to creative pattern mixing or you can keep it simple.
The front and back of the tunic feature pleats, and center panel. There is an optional pocket but let's be honest, pockets aren't really optional in our house. They are always filled with something or another! And the straps are made from homemade bias tape.
Doesn't this tunic just scream summer? And on the day we took these pictures it was about 80 degrees so it was just perfect.

In case you haven't noticed, I love using vintage fabric. And this top is all vintage. The pink is a linen that I picked up at an estate sale. The small roses and strawberry print are both from my grandmother. She was an amazing designer and seamstress so I love being able to incorporate a little bit of her history into what I sew.

The entire collection will be on sale April 22. And I can't wait to sew more of these amazing patterns! Visit Willow and Co. Patterns for more information. Oh, and tomorrow I will share the Aster Cardigan!

4 comments:

Rachel Reeves said...

Her little ponytail!!!

And you are so talented friend. I love coming here and seeing all you make. Good for you for following a passion and making pieces for your kids!

Heidi Polcyn said...

Love it so much! :) And $2/yd?!?! Now that was a steal!!

OnceUpona Sew said...

Both outfits are wonderful!

Hayley Crouse said...

both of these make me squeal with delight!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin