Sunday, February 2, 2014

Vintage Style // Garden Party Dress

Guys. I am so excited about this dress! Its my first dress, made for myself, that is lined (and underlined), has darts, a full zipper, cute pleats. And it fits! I've had the Garden Party Dress Pattern by Honig Design on my "to sew" list for awhile. I just assumed it would be complicated but after reading the instructions I knew that I could sew it. Oh, and its free! How great it that?
I was inspired to sew this dress when I saw the week 1 challenge on Project Sewn. There are so many great women sewing this time around and I'm excited to see what they make and to sew along! The first challenge is to sew a look inspired by your favorite fashion icon. I love vintage style as well as vintage patterns so I immediately thought of Grace Kelly. She had such a classic look and wore some really beautiful dresses. After doing some research, I came across a few floral dresses she wore and knew that's where I wanted to start.

This is the dress that I loved. She wore it in the movie Rear Window and the simple lines and the bold floral and just wonderful. Awhile back I purchased quite a few vintage sheet sets from an estate sale. After lots of soaking, time in the wash and sun they were ready to use. I chose this gray, orange and brown floral print (I also made a top for Miette using this fabric) because it has a few of my favorite colors and it was reminiscent of the above dress. One bonus of using vintage sheets is that I used the existing hem so I saved a step. And it's so nice and straight!
Before sewing the dress I actually did a muslin of the bodice out of the lining fabric (just in case it no adjustments were necessary half my work would be done!) and it fit perfect. Not a bad start! The instructions are just text, no illustrations, and that can be tough for a visual person like me. But luckily the techniques are pretty standard so I could visualize the steps easily. It went together smoothly and I was crossing my fingers when I tried it on and zipped it up. Perfect fit.  I'm so happy with how it turned out and I can't wait until we are all well again (both kids are sick, again) so I can wear it to church!
I had a few options for sweaters, shoes, accessories so I thought I would try them all. I'm not sure which is my favorite but I like having choices. Also, does anyone else feel silly not smiling? Its normal for me to smile in pictures so any picture where I'm not, I just laugh at how silly I look!
I'm also sewing along with Shades of Me. While this isn't an entire monochromatic look, it has shades of orange to brown. I realize that I tend to wear lots of solids in monochromatic shades but when buying fabric I'm drawn to prints. I think I need to invest in some great solids to sew some basics. And the next project on my list...cigarette pants! Those may take a lot of trial and error but I'm excited to try!

Shades of Me Sew Along

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Cute! I love the dress - great job! It looks very similar to the one Grace Kelly is wearing. Also, hems are my least favorite thing to do, so it's great you were able to use the existing hem! And I completely agree with you about the smiling. I always smile in pictures and if I'm not it usually feels really awkward.

Renee said...

Smile away!! I feel the same. If I don't smile I look grumpy. I love your dress! Fit is perfect - I really like the pleats on the skirt. thanks for showing another FREE pattern idea.

Nancy Bowron said...

Modern with a nod to the past - it looks great!

Annie said...

Gorgeous dress!

Beth Cavanaugh said...

I love all of your styling options! Great dress! And YES about not smiling--it feels so weird, and my pics always look so fake if I'm not smiling.

beth said...

ooh! April! I love your new dress!

Laura said...

I love the inspiration picture to compare- you really hit the mark! Such a beautiful dress! I am playing along with Project Sewn also... mine didn't turn out so good... I am a newbie at sewing... lol but I still posted it! lol. My inspiration was Princess Kate.
This is so fun, this is my first time participating in a sew along... so nice to meet you April!

hungie gungie said...

This is beautiful on you! I love the muted colors, and it looks great with that blazer!

Heidi Polcyn said...

Wow gorgeous!! It's like the pattern was made for you, the fit is amazing! All of your styling options look great too, what a great staple piece.

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

Gorgeous dress! Gotta love the dress that can be worn with just about anything... well, maybe not pants hehe Well done :)

OnceUpona Sew said...

What a great fit! I love the modern/vintage vibe. Big win!

Inder-ific said...

It looks smashing on you! And I love your inspiration - that's one of my favorites too. :-) GREAT dress that will see you all the way through summer and back into autumn and winter again!

Suzanne Winter said...

Thanks for linking up at Pattern Revolution! I love this dress so much, it looks amazing on you and I love all the different ways you styled it!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

You look so pretty in your vintage style frock!

Monica Swift said...

Incredible!!! You took that inspiration, and rolled with it. I am so impressed, and seriously...this pattern is free? You look beautiful :)

honigdesign said...

Wow! What a great surprise to see your AMAZING interpretation of the GPD and so beautifully made too. The fabric, your inspiration, everything is fabulous. Thank you for taking the pattern to another level - I love Rear Window and what you've done with this!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin