Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Deer and Doe Plantain Tshirt // Sewing for Me

This year I have decided that I'm going to make more of an effort to sew for myself and my husband. I'm starting off the year pretty good! This is the second top I have sewn and I love it! The Plantain is a free pattern from Deer and Doe. It's my first time sewing with one of their patterns and it was great. The instructions are easy to follow and I just love the fit. Funny thing, it doesn't feel tight at all but it looks a little snug in these pictures.  I think I'll go up a size for the next one and see how that fits.
I cut out a size 38 for the top then graded to a 40 in the waist and hips and used the longest length.  I was dying to use this floral knit but I didn't have enough so I decided to mix it with a gray knit. The gray kit with white dots is actually from a thrifted dress so that's why there is a seam in the back. Matching different patterns is definitely out of my comfort zone but I really like how it turned out. It's comfortable, the perfect length and in my favorite colors. Too bad the weather is going to be in the 80s this week, I was looking forward to wearing my new top!
 And my first article of clothing with elbow patches. The perfect placement and size.
I'm off to search my fabric stash to see what I have so I can make a short sleeve one!

10 comments:

ginny said...

EXCELLENT tee --- Awesome fabric combo! I love the Plantain pattern so much that I've made 3 already (and the 4th is cut out). Can't wait to see your next version :D!

Renee // nearest the pin said...

This is lovely April, great fabric! I've got this pattern printed and ready to go but still searching for the right fabric.

Renee said...

oh, I had just pinned this pattern for myself to try. I love the mixing of patterns you did! looks great!

Heidi Polcyn said...

Love it!! I just printed this pattern yesterday :) You did an awesome job mixing patterns!

beth said...

Super cute!

Monica Swift said...

Wow!!! I need to sit down and order some 'grown up' fabric, because I'm feeling quite jealous! :) Great job!!

Rachel Reeves said...

Girl, you are GOOD! I love the patches!

Inder-ific said...

Oooh, I love the color-blocking/print combination! Very nice!

Surf Jewels said...

Love the floral fabric, where did u get it from? Top looks nice.

Hannah.
http://surfjewels.tumblr.com/

Shelly Morgan said...

cute! I totally want this top - love the elbow patches :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin