Friday, January 17, 2014

Plantain Top // Deer and Doe

I've decided to take a little break sewing clothes for the kids. For now, they have enough clothes and I don't want to have a bunch of things hanging in the closet that never get worn. There are a few things I still need to finish up but they are practical. Some pants, hooded sweatshirt, and a doll/bear carrier for Miette. So I'll definitely still be sewing but on my list is a dress for myself as well as some cigarette pants. And finally working on a button down shirt for Brian!

This is my second Plantain top by Deer and Doe. The first one was such a great fit that I had to make another! The problem with using my stash is that most of my fabric was purchased with the kids in mind. So when I picked up this black ponte knit in the remnant section of JoAnns, I wasn't planning to sew something for myself. But I knew that it would be the perfect fabric for this top. Turns out, it is. I love how thick and substantial it is and it looks a bit more dressy. Since it was just under a yard of fabric, I had to do some piecing together and I ran out of fabric for the sleeves.

I sewed the same size: 38 in the bust, graded to 40 in the waist and the longest length. Since this fabric doesn't stretch as much I used a 1/4 seam allowance and it worked great! The solid black knit I used for the sleeves was from an old shirt so there wasn't much length so I cut it to hit just above my elbow. It is really thin so instead of a hem I used a narrow cuff and its perfect.


Baby girl wanted in on the picture taking. Love her!

And yes, I have one more version in the works!

3 comments:

OnceUpona Sew said...

You can always use a cute black top! My fabric stash is 98% for the kids, I always have to go shopping to sew for me :)

Rachel Reeves said...

SO CUTE!

Inder-ific said...

Ooh, I love your version! The cuff on the sleeve is a really good idea - so much easier than hemming, too. The shape of this top is just so flattering!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin