Friday, January 24, 2014

Deer and Doe Plantain Swing Dress

When I first saw the Plantain top by Deer and Doe I thought it would easily convert into a dress. So I looked around at a few of my favorite stores and found a some dresses for inspiration. The first one I decided to try was this swing dress from Anthropologie. I mean how cute it this?
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-dresses/30517007.jsp
And when I did a close-up from the fabric and saw that it was herringbone I was sold! I had a black and white herringbone in my stash, that was meant for a cardigan, but I haven't been able to find a cardi pattern that I like so a cute dress is just perfect!
I searched around and found a basic tutorial on how to create a swing/trapeze style dress from Cotton and Curls. Seemed easy enough!  I cut out the plantain top pattern and then taped it to a larger sheet of paper and then just under the bust I flared out a few inches and lengthened the pattern. I made a quick muslin, made a few adjustments then cut into my fabric! Its definitely not perfect and there are a few things I would change next time, but overall I'm very happy with it!  I also lengthened the sleeves and I love this length.
I had one more idea for a dress version of this top...we will see if I get around to it! I do have a different project in mind that may take awhile and I'm excited to start!

Oh, and I took close to
1,000 pictures of me and this dress! I'm still getting used to my husbands camera. I tried multiple places in the yard, times of day, but I'm limited on when I can take them because of the kids. So they aren't perfect but I was pretty tired of smiling and posing so these are good enough!

8 comments:

Inder-ific said...

Oooh. What a good idea! I love that herringbone knit, too! I want some for a cozy herringbone Plaintain sweater! Well done. I can see this with a cardigan, belted, and boots ...

Renee // nearest the pin said...

Oh my goodness - April, this is fabulous!! I hope you've entered into the Plantain competition at Deer and Doe :)

Monica Swift said...

Niiiiice! When I wing it, the end result is never quite so wearable ;) At least not the first time... This looks great. I love taking inspiration and running with it. You look gorgeous!

Heidi Polcyn said...

Love it!! That herringbone is fabulous.

Rachel Reeves said...

Absolutely adorable, April!!

Teresa said...

These pics are all great! And you are a plantain making machine! I love this swingy dress...definitely could see it in my closet! :)

astérOïde said...

So nice! I love it!!!

Carmen Alicia Coto said...

This is beautiful!! I just printed the pattern, and now I wanna make a dress! I'll tell you how it goes *fingers crossed*

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin