Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cozy, Hooded Coat

When I started sewing a few years ago, I never thought that I would be able to make the clothes that I am sewing today. I made a little dress for M, before she was born, and it was riddled with mistakes.

I made a few more simple things after that. Then I found this coat pattern. It had all the the things I had never done before.  Sleeves, fully lined, buttonhole, top stitching. But it was so cute I had to try.

I made one, then another, then a few as gifts. I added a hood, some applique, and even did a custom one based on M's specifications. It was so simple and so adorable. After sewing this coat, I knew I was up for more challenging things.
She finally outgrew her green, hooded jacket so it was time for another. The pattern only goes up to a size 4 so I guess I need to learn how to alter patterns! Because this is definitely a favorite in our house.

Here's my newest version. I lengthened the sleeves since I want this to last her at least a year. I made an error with the hood size and I figured it out once it was completed. Oops! Luckily I have some amazing sewing friends and got some great advice on Instagram. That's how I ended up with this adorable contrast band on the hood and going along the neckline. I may add a snap so it will stay closed but I love how it looks folded down as well. 
The Little Mademoiselle Coat by ManiMina Studio. Size 4. Outer is corduroy and its lined with a cozy flannel. And of course, her personalized wood button looks perfect with these colors!

Now we are ready for some rain and puddle jumping!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin