Sunday, September 15, 2013

PRAP Week 2: Candy Theme

Oh, Candy. Confession time. I am a sugar addict. I love candy. My favorites are in the gummy family. Jelly beans, red vines, laffy taffy, starburst, red licorice, just to name a few! So when the candy them for Project Run and Play was announced I was so excited!
I knew immediately that I would get some inspiration by watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And within the first 5 minutes, I knew the color scheme that I wanted to use. Before starting these projects I decided that I would use mostly all fabric and patterns from my stash. So I searched and found the perfect fabric.
Here is a screen shot of my inspiration. The uniforms worn by the original workers for Willy Wonka. Red, white, stripes, black bow tie. Love it all!
And it ties in with my favorite candy. Red vines and licorice. I could eat a tub of red vines in a very short amount of time. :)

I was able to be a pattern tester for this Circle Dress from Kikoi Patterns. And I knew that this would be perfect for my licorice themed dress. This pattern came together very easily and Miette adores the double circle skirt. And the bow tie. Though she constantly tries to pull the front bow tie off...not sure why.
And look at the back. Another bow! Miette asks to wear this dress almost every day so she can twirl. Such a fun outfit for my little one.
Yes, a lot of candy was consumed while doing the photo shoot and also while sewing. And how cute is this store? It's a candy shop in Corona Del Mar and these over sized cupcakes, cones and lollipops are so adorable!

I knew that the fabric I chose for the bodice wouldn't line up perfect for the circle skirt. So I decided to use a solid red with the striped fabric as the under skirt. And I like how it breaks it up. My husband thought it was a peppermint themed dress and it could definitely go that way as well!

Here are some detail shots. I wish I had some shots of her twirling but she is just way too fast and my camera couldn't capture it! I had a great time dreaming up this dress and I'm so happy with how it turned out.


33 comments:

Heidi Amber said...

Absolutely adorable!!! My favorite features are the bow ties, love, love, love!

OnceUpona Sew said...

It turned out beautiful! Love the candy inspiration.

michelle said...

This is awesome! I love the bottom of the skirt and the black bow tie in the back!

Elisa Clark said...

SO pretty!

Zafarani said...

Such a cute dress!

Chelsea B. said...

So sweet. Love those ruffles and bows! Great job

Ty Bebe said...

Adorable!!!

Alexia

Lee Blume said...

I thought it was peppermint at first too, lol. I think it's the widths of the stripes. The black does add a bit of licorice-y detail though. Oh and I love love love red vines too. Not a fan of other licorice but have always loved those. They hold fond memories for me. :-)

crys0904 said...

I love red & black! So classic. Great job!

Deborah Devine said...

Beautiful bright color in your creation. I like how you used the stripes.
Very cute.
Deborah
http://sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com

sweeter than cupcakes said...

Love the way you used those stripes!

Olga Becker @ Kid Approved said...

The dress is ADORABLE! Love the bow tie! Great job!

Annie said...

Oh, lovely dress! Love the photos too!!

RaeAnna Goss said...

so adorable!!! Love the back bow!

Joy Candrian said...

Such a cute dress, love the backdrop for your photos too. I've started a red & black licorice inspired outfit too. Hum, will it get finished? http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

Suz said...

Gorgeous April!! There are some similarities between our dresses:))

nest full of eggs said...

i really like the red & white stripes!

April Boyer said...

Thanks, Heidi!!

April Boyer said...

It was so fun dreaming up ideas!

April Boyer said...

Thank you so much! She loves all the bows as well.

April Boyer said...

Thanks!

April Boyer said...

Thank you!

April Boyer said...

The bows were a big hit! :)

April Boyer said...

Thanks! I can't wait to see your candy outfits!

April Boyer said...

I love any type of red licorice. Black, not so much!

April Boyer said...

Thanks!

April Boyer said...

Thanks so much!

Shaffer Sisters said...

This is SOOOOOOOOO Cute. I give you a ten for your execution. I love every beautiful detail you put into this. Gorgeous! Fabulous! Hope you treated your self after finishing because this is awesome. what a lucky little girl!

Bethany said...

This is absolutely adorable!

Jill said...

Beautiful! Great idea to use the solid red to break up the stripes; it looks great. And I love the bow in the back! I also love your photos. What a cute candy shop!
--Jill, from Jill Made It

Emily Thompson said...

that dress is adorable! I love the colors and the back is lovely!!! I linked up a Milky Way inspired outfit for my son... SO much fun! Emily@nap-timecreations

Magda E. said...

I really like this dress and the inspiration for this. After I finished my own candy themed piece, I thought I should have watched the film again... but then, I already had something...

Simple Simon said...

I kind of just love everything about this dress...the dress, the photoshoot, the inspiration...the whole thing is ADORABLE!!!-liZ

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin