Monday, September 9, 2013

Popover Sundress Remix. PRAP Week 1.

Hello! I'm so excited about this month. I've been busy sewing and I can finally share my projects with you! It's my first time sewing along with Project Run and Play and its been fun planning each item to sew.
Week 1 is a pattern remix. Using the Popover Sundress by Oliver and S, the task was to remix it however you see fit. I loved the original dress and I needed a sundress for Miette since the weather has been in the 90's! So I didn't change the original pattern much. Just in the details. It also came with a pattern to make a dress for a doll. And since M has been very much into matching outfits (for her doll, me, my husband), I had to make her doll one as well!

She decided to read a few stories to her Madeline doll for the photoshoot. She just sat here, reading, for such a long time. I love her love for reading.
I adore this fabric. I used a vintage floral sheet that I picked up at an estate sale for the main fabric. 
My changes: 
I did a little color blocking at the bottom, in pink
Used store bought orange bias tape, shortened it so it would just tie, added cream eyelet trim for the arms and ties
And I love buttons so I added a few in orange.
Oh, and this cute doll? I made it using the Ruby Lou Doll pattern from Sew Much Ado. I made it for her birthday, my take on a doll from the book Madeline. And she loves her.
Sometimes you have a vision and it works. Other times it takes some work and it still isn't perfect. My first idea for the straps looked great, but they kept falling off her shoulders. So, I made a few adjustments and I'm happy with the straps but I still want to figure out how I can make the first way work.

Isn't she just precious? I love the vintage look of this dress. My little girl loves playing in the dirt, mud and grass so hopefully I can keep this dress somewhat clean. Checkout Project Run and Play tomorrow to see what all the contestants have made and vote for your favorite! I can't wait to see what they made!

11 comments:

Lee Blume said...

Nice job. I like your take on it. :-)

Bonnie MS said...

Lovely remix! I want one in my size ;p
Bonnie MS

Chelsea B. said...

How cute is that jumping picture! Love the lace! I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

Annie said...

Lovely vintage look!

Joy Candrian said...

I love that you used sheets to make this outfit- were they from the 1970's? http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

Beth Cavanaugh said...

I love the shape that the widened straps give the neckline! I am always on the lookout for cool vintage sheets but haven't scored any as great as that print. Love it!

Erin said...

This is adorable...I love using vintage sheets for clothing too. Also, your daughter's name is lovely. :)

Angela said...

I ADORE vintage sheets used for fabric! love this remix!

Olga Becker @ Kid Approved said...

Love the colors and the lace detail. So cute!

Simple Simon said...

How sweet is the addition of the vintage sheet? SO lovely. And the vintage-y details are so right up my alley...love, love, love!!!
elizabeth

Ajaire said...

That vintage sheet is lovely and the straps are a cute shape.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin