Friday, August 16, 2013

Blueberry, Banana, Bran Muffins



I used to be a morning person. Then, I became a mom and now I find it very difficult to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Well, unless a crying baby forces me out of bed and down the hall.

For the past 6 months I've been trying to wake up early, do my devotional, enjoy the quiet morning and get mentally prepared for the day ahead.

It's a little easier to wake up in the morning if I know there is a little treat waiting for me to enjoy with my coffee. I started making these when I had a newborn and I needed a filling, yet quick breakfast. These definitely hit the spot and now my little one enjoys them as well.

My triple "B" muffins. Blueberry, banana and bran muffins. With a crumb topping. Because everything tastes better with a crumb topping. I make a batch and freeze half of them so I can have one anytime. Try them. You will love them!


The Best Banana Bran Muffins

Makes 12-18 large muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups mashed, ripe banana
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 cups fresh blueberries

Crumb Topping:
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 and grease, or line with baking cups, muffin tins.
2. Blend the wheat bran and buttermilk in a small bowlLet sit for 15 minutes.
3.  In a separate bowl, whisk the mashed banana, sugar, eggs, vanilla and oil (or butter). Add bran mixture.
4.  Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to the batter. Stirring until just combined. Add blueberries and gently stir until combined.
5.  Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.

Crumb Topping:
1. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and baking powder with melted butter. Stir until crumbs form.
2.  Place a generous amount on top of muffins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin