Tuesday, July 16, 2013

KCW Day 2: T-shirt and Skirt

Day 2 of Kids Clothes Week was a pretty good day! I was able to sew this simple shirt in the morning, during the babies nap. And the skirt was completed during the afternoon naps.

I decided to sew everything from my existing stash of fabric, thread and trims. So even though I would have loved some different patterns or colors for the accent pieces, I'm happy to say I didn't go to the store once!

The shirt came together in about an hour. So simple to sew and I really want to get some fun patterned bias tape and make a few more of these! I know I can make bias tape but I'd rather spend that time sewing clothes. 


Pattern: Toddler t-shirt tutorial by The Purl Bee
Size: Fits 4-6T
Fabric: Dusty rose and natural striped linen-type fabric found at an estate sale
Additional info: Used brown bias tape
The fit: As you can see, it's a little wide in the neck and its actually too narrow in the waist. She still has her baby tummy and this fabric doesn't have any stretch. The seam allowances were 1/2" so next time I will probably sew 3/8" or cut it wider.
She was telling me the colors of the stripes. And standing still for a split second! Always moving, this girl.

I've been trying to sew with knits more and Miette loves to wear them. She loves to be comfortable and have plenty of room to dance, run and play. I love skirts but they aren't ideal when she plays at the park. I found a tutorial for a skirt with built-in shorts and knew it would be perfect!
Pattern: Skirt with built-in shorts (tutorial) by The Long Thread
Size: 4-6T, can be adjusted based on waist size and elastic
Fabric: Gray jersey knit
The fit:  It was a little long and the waistband looked a little strange. So I adjusted the length, from the waistband, and it fits much better!
Perfect for climbing trees!

I'm taking Wedneaday off to actually do chores around the house but hope to sew some more Thursday!

1 comment:

OnceUpona Sew said...

I love envelope shirts, I haven't seen that pattern/tutorial I'll have to check it out! They're both darling, looks like your model approves too :)

-Rachel

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin