Monday, July 15, 2013

KCW Day 1: Geranium Dress and Bubble Skirt

After all the sewing I've done in the past month, I needed to take a little break. I went on vacation with the family and then I cleaned, made a big batch of baby food, did the laundry that was piled up and just took some time to relax. And now I'm ready to finish some projects and start a few new ones!

KCWC

It's Kids Clothes Week and I'm excited to participate. Basically it is a challenge to sew for your kids, at least 1 hour per day, for a week! Miette is at vacation bible school this week for 3 hours every day (!!) and so I hope to be able to sew while she is gone, assuming that Henri takes good naps!

Today I was able to sew a few things that needed fixing or just finishing.

I started this geranium dress last week and finished the piping, hem, buttons and pockets today. This is for a friend of ours (and coordinates with the pleated playsuit and flat front shorts I made for the kids) but of course I wanted Miette to be my model.

I love this print and it turned out so cute. I wasn't so sure about the contrasting pockets in brown linen...and I'm still not sure I love it. It helps to tie this dress in with the other clothes (more on that later!) so I think I will keep them for now! This is my fourth geranium dress and I added piping for the first time. It was so much easier than I thought it would be! And I think I may add piping to everything that I make from now on.

I also used french seams for the skirt portion. This was my first time doing that as well and I love how it turned out. So much nicer than using my zigzag stitch and it really didn't add that much time. 

Pattern: Geranium dress by Made by Rae
Size: 5T with added length
Fabric: Les Amis in peach by Michael Miller

(Styled by mommy)
(Styled by Miette)

I made this skirt last year and the waistband was too large so its been sitting in the closet, unworn. I dug it out, removed the waistband and made it smaller, sewed it back on and now we have an adorable knit skirt!

Pattern: Bubble skirt tutorial by EmmylouBeeDoo
Size: 4T
Fabric: Pink and white polka dot knit jersey

My list for the rest of the week includes two shirts, a knit skirt with built in shorts, pillowcase dress and maybe a cardigan! All for Miette, Henri doesn't need a ton of things right now and she is growing so fast!

What are you sewing or making this week?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin