Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Shorts

My best friend is coming into town next month (for 2 months!!) and we decided we wanted to do a photo shoot with the kids. She is an awesome photographer so to match her skills it was decided that I would make coordinating outfits for all the kids!

We chose the fabric, and I decided what I wanted to make each person. These are the first of the outfits and they just so happened to be shorts. Miette has a lot of dresses so I wanted to make something a little different. And since I'll be making a dress for her friend, C, I didn't want her to have a dress as well. Although, I will have extra fabric so she will be getting a new dress anyway!
And Henri was in need of some shorts and I had a new pattern to use for him. Sewing for boys is just as fun as sewing for girls!

For Miette, I used the (FREE) Pleated Playsuit pattern from Elegance and Elephants. I purchased her bubble pocket shorts pattern and have already made 4 pairs of them, and I absolutely love making these shorts.  Aren't they adorable?
Bubble pocket shorts in blue and white seersucker
 Bubble pocket shorts in green with white stripes

Her patterns are easy to understand and come together very quickly.  The main fabric is Les Amis by Michael Miller, Lil Meadow in peach and is accented by a brown linen.

I love the floral print but felt it needed a little more pop so I sewed on two buttons and added a bow. I made the 4/5 and had some fitting problems. She is 3 years old so she still has her adorable little tummy. It's a little tight around the waistband and the top ended up being a bit more narrow and lower under the arms, than I thought it would be. I don't think this will fit her for very long but I'll be sure to have her wear it as often as I can! I absolutely adore how it turned out. And I've had some friends request one in an adult size!

Henri's shorts are a pattern from Fishsticks Designs. The Inside or Out Pocket Pants/Shorts. I used the same brown linen as Miette's romper and accented his pockets with Les Amis by Michael Miller, Socks the Fox in coral.

Since H is wearing cloth diapers, I have to make his clothes a bit bigger to accommodate that extra bulk. So even though he is 8 months old, I made the 18 month size and they fit great! A little on the long side but I can pull them over the diaper no problem.
These shorts took me a lot longer than I thought they would. Not sure if I was just having an off day but I must have ripped out every seam and started over numerous times! But I do love the result and that little fox on the pockets is too adorable!

I have a dress, another pair of bubble pocket shorts and a pinafore to make before next month. I can't wait to see all the pieces together and finished!

125 

1 comment:

Inder-ific said...

Oh, wow. That little romper is seriously the cutest thing EVER. I love the use of piping and you were spot-on with the buttons. It all comes together perfectly.

Fox shorts!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin