Friday, June 14, 2013

Orange Lace Dress

This year, for my birthday, my husband and I did a little shopping in DTLA. Specifically at Michael Levine Loft. There are boxes full of fabric, no yardage listed, no designer or manufacturer listed on most pieces. Just boxes full of wonderful fabric! And it's $2.50 per pound, amazing! Let's just say that I came home with quite a lot of fabric.
I found this beautiful orange lace and I knew that I needed to make a dress. I saw a white lace strapless dress at Target and decided that was the look I wanted to go for. I originally cut a medium for the dress but it ended up being too big so I would say by the time I took it in, it ended up being a size small.


Fabric: Orange lace for main fabric, red batiste for underlining.
Pattern: Mimi maxi dress by Seamingly Smitten Patterns 
Pattern Modifications:  1. Added in seam pockets because I love pockets! 2. Instead of ankle length with side slit, I cut it shorter and had the hem hit just below the knee. 3. I also cut the width smaller for the skirt so that I didn't have to gather as much material. 4. And of course, I had to add a belt! One from the same orange lace and a brown one (which I took from an existing dress that didn't fit anymore).

These adorable chain sandals are my new favorite shoe. From Zara. So comfortable and perfect for summer!

I'm currently working on a pleated playsuit for Miette and I'm going to start on a button down shirt for my husband!


125




Have a great weekend!
April

4 comments:

ann said...

what a great summer dress, April! I love that you added pockets... genius! also love the sandals from Zara, I have the exact same ones. :)

Seamingly Smitten said...

Hi April! What a fabulous dress!! I love how you changed the length and added the sash and pockets! SO beautiful!!!

Happy Sewing!
Jenny Hall
Seamingly Smitten sewing patterns

Melissa (Melly Sews) said...

Thanks for sharing on Flickr - featuring this Monday and kicking myself for passing over that very same fabric when I was in LA at the end of May!

Simple Simon and Company said...

You look so beautiful!!!! Love the color choice!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin