Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Creating the Sugar. Blog Sugar 2011.


(photo by Megan of Fairly Fabulous)

My kitchen is finally clean, the dishes are done, the oven is ready for its next job. I'm still finding sprinkles here and there (those little guys are hard to sweep up!) and decompressing from a busy weekend.

In January, Rachel asked if I would be interested in making desserts for the third Blog Sugar and I said absolutely! Immediately, I knew what a few of the desserts would be but it took me a few more months to figure out the rest. I wanted to have variety and to have something for everyone. A little chocolate, a little citrus, an old fashioned treat, and something new. Oh, and I also wanted to coordinate with the color scheme. Orange and pink!

(photo by Ruthanne Photography)
(l to r: Andrea, Rachel & Jen)

So on Sunday, I packed up my car and drove to Westminster to set up the dessert table for Blog Sugar, which was organized by my good friend Rachel as well as Jen and Andrea. I am in awe of what they put together.


Laura and Erica from Proost Events did a fabulous job on the design and decorating! Almost everything was hand made. Oversize orange and pink balloons adorned with decorations, hand painted canvases with pink and white stripes, beautiful flowers, it was perfect.

Just under 200 women (and a few men) came out on Sunday to hear speakers, socialize, meet new friends, enjoy delicious food (and desserts) and be encouraged. I was so busy running around and putting the finishing touches on the desserts that I didn't have a chance to hear the speakers during the breakout sessions. Fortunately, I was able to hear from the keynote speaker, Meg, and that was wonderful.


Sometimes I can be quite shy, well most times. So I sort of stayed in my comfort zone the majority of the day. I wish I had been a bit more outgoing and talked to more people, but I was so happy to meet a few of my "online" friends in real life!

(photo by Megan of Fairly Fabulous)

My friend Mary and I were manning the cotton candy machine and it was so much fun to see everyone enjoy those pretty pink swirls of cotton candy. And it is way more difficult that you think to get a picture perfect cotton candy!

(photo by Megan of Fairly Fabulous)

With the help of a few wonderful friends, we set up the dessert table and as soon as we did, pictures were being taken of all the sugar! And as soon as it was announced that dessert was served, there was a mad dash and a very long line! We had to start refilling the platters immediately and desserts were disappearing as quick as we could put them out.

Here is what I made:

Lemon curd tartlet with a cookie crust topped with a fresh raspberry
Caramel fleur de sel truffles and coconut tea ganache truffles
(photo by Mel at The Larson Lingo)

Strawberry whoopie pies rolled in sprinkles
(photo by Mel at The Larson Lingo)

Salted brown butter crispy treats dipped in white chocolate
(photo by Mel at The Larson Lingo)

Chocolate cupcakes topped with coffee frosting and a mini donut
(photo by Mel at The Larson Lingo)

If you were at Blog Sugar, I hope you enjoyed all the treats!



Note: I was so busy making sure I had everything I needed for that day and I overlooked bringing my camera! Fortunately, there were so many talented photographers taking pictures and I was able to convince a few to let me use their photos. Thanks!

5 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Thanks for making such yummy treats! Glad you were able to use my pictures! And...I did meet you. I was the crazy girl who hugged you guys after you gave me the cotton candy :)

Laura @ ascotfriday said...

I wish I had stepped out a little more as well... Lesson learned.

Meagan at Fairly Fabulous Blog dot com said...

Oh my goodness, that's what the treats were. Pure goodness. I would gain a million pounds if I did could bake treats like that! Beautiful job! So glad I met you. I'm keeping you in mind for the future. Mmmmm... Oh and so glad my pictures worked for you!

hannah singer said...

april, it was a joy to finally meet you! thanks for making the treats so extra special, everything was beautiful and delicious!! you are so precious! blog sugar was amazing!! xo

dessert cup said...

A perfect, gourmet Valentine treat that will leave your family and guests oohing and aahing at your creativity and culinary genius, these little cups are surprisingly easy, especially if you bring along a little patience. Making use of every day balloons, the cups take shape in little time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin