Thursday, August 27, 2009

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Dobos Torte (Daring Bakers)


When I first found out about this month's challenge I was so excited about all the possibilities. I immediately thought about the different shapes, flavor combinations and other variations that would be delicious with this cake. I kept the basic cake recipe but I decided to go with a peanut butter-chocolate layered torte and some caramel shards for topping.

The layers of sponge cake were alternated peanut butter buttercream and chocolate buttercream and were either frosted with chocolate or peanut butter buttercream. The two flavors of rich buttercream combined with the light sponge cake was delightful. My husband said it reminded him of a wafer cookie and claimed that it was his favorite cake. Not too bad! I also enjoyed it but it is definitely best when served on the same day it is made or the next day. I will definitely try this recipe again with even more flavor variations!


The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caff├ęs of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.


Complete Recipe can be found HERE. My variations and additions are below.


Peanut Butter Buttercream

Ingredients

Makes about 1 cup


2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Fine salt (optional)

Directions

Cream peanut butter and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed. On low speed, mix in sugar until combined, then beat mixture on high speed until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add salt to taste, if desired. Use to frost outside of cake and to alternate layers with chocolate buttercream.



Chocolate Buttercream

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter (1/4 pound), softened, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons

3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pinch salt

2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate

Directions

Using a mixer, cream the butter in a large bowl until soft, about 1 minute. With the mixer on low, gradually add the sugar. When all the sugar has been incorporated, add the vanilla and salt. Increase mixer speed to high and cream the ingredients until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.

Melt the chocolate and the remaining butter in a double boiler over gently simmering water. Beat into the buttercream mixture until well combined.

16 comments:

Megan said...

I love the peanutbutter buttercream idea! Your cake looks great!

number17cherrytreelane said...

Sean would fall over in delight! He loves peanut butter desserts!

syrupandhoney said...

Peanut butter and chocolate? Great variation! Your tortes look beautiful!

Kat said...

Wow...I don't think anything I ever bake looks THAT good!

Do you know kind of cookies you are going to bring to book club yet? I'm thinking my favorite all time cookies, pumpkin...a la my moms recipe.

Elra said...

Your Dobos torte look so wonderful. The layers look perfect!

maybelle's mom said...

Looks great. My husband will be over to scarf this down--he loves peanut butter and chocolate. and thanks for the visit.

Jill said...

Peanut butter & chocolate--why didn't I think of that? :) I love the little cake with the jimmies on it. :)

mary said...

Are you kidding me?? That thing looks so delicious. Please let me know if you ever need a taster. My baby weight can wait to come off... I am definitely going to try the peanut butter buttercream!! Thanks!!

Lauren said...

Wow!! Your tortes are amazing =D. I love the peanut butter buttercream - Yum!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I absolutel love your attitude about being excited when hearing about the recipe :) I love the sound of your variation too! You must have had some very pleased cake tasters :)

Sara said...

Mmmmm, I love that you used p.b. here! Sounds totally amazing! YUM. :)

anna said...

I love all your different versions of the cake! Especially the one with the unfrosted sides - being able to see the layers is especially arresting.

Lisa Michelle said...

I was hoping someone would do a peanut butter and chocolate Dobos Torte, since I decided against it due to way too many peanut butter- chocolate desserts on my blog! I LOVE how yours turned out, and would give anything to taste that! Beautifully done!

Amy Loo, Ace and Bella Blue said...

Oh I'll have to try this recipe! Reminds me of the peanut butter frosted chocolate cupcakes I made not too long ago! My favorite combination in the world!

Hannah said...

Such beautiful layers, and killer flavors! Another job well done. :)

Joy said...

Your tortes are so pretty! And I love the flavors you made. I want to make this again, too, and see what other flavors I can pull off. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin