Friday, July 24, 2009

Making Pasta with Friends


My parents got me this pasta machine and drying rack as a lovely Christmas gift a few years ago. And for some reason I was intimidated to make fresh pasta! I'm not sure why since I make bread dough all the time and the basic principles are the same. So to motivate me I had a few friends come over and we made fresh pasta together. It was so much fun and I think we all said "that is so cute" quite a few times when the pasta was getting cut into thin noodles--only girls would refer to pasta as cute!

We made an plain, egg-less pasta and an egg pasta with fresh rosemary. We dried each pasta for a bit and then of course had to taste them! Tossed with a bit of butter for the rosemary and olive oil for the plain these were incredible. Such a different flavor & texture than dried pasta in the store. And seriously, so easy to do. I can't wait to try more flavors and shapes. Now to find out how they make the spiral pasta...

Rosemary Pasta
2 cups flour (or semolina)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup hot water
1 teaspoon minced herb (rosemary, thyme) or 1/4 cup minced basil or parsley

Mix flour and salt in bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil/butter and water. Beat the water with a fork and gradually incorporated the flour. Mix with your hands once its too hard with the fork and add water as needed to incorporate all the flour.
Knead the dough until not sticky and stiff.
Cover with plastic and rest for 30 minutes.
Roll, cut, eat!!

Here are a few dishes I made with the pasta for dinner, had to try a bit of both kinds and I went to my garden and picked some tomatoes, zucchini, basil and rosemary. Each of these dishes took about 5 minutes to cook, including the pasta. Talk about fast food!

Rosemary pasta with sauteed zucchini, garlic and butter. Topped with parmesan cheese.


Plain pasta with slightly cooked fresh yellow pear tomatoes, shallots and basil in olive oil.

5 comments:

number17cherrytreelane said...

hey--some of my pictures aren't half bad! It was SO much fun, April--loved hanging out and learning with you.
My love,
Rachel

mary said...

You made yours into the most yummy looking meal!! I couldn't believe how easy it was! Thanks again for the fun and the cinnamon roll and iced mocha. You're the best!

Sophie said...

You all did a terrific job!! I have the same pasta machine & dry rack!! I love making my fresh pasta!!
I also make fresh ravioli & tortellini from time to time,...

Lovely pictures & it looks that you had a great time together!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow you've got a drying rack too! That's so pro! :D The pasta looks lovely and I really like the flavour combinations you did :)

Megan said...

That pasta looks amazing... so bright and refreshing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin