Friday, July 10, 2009

French Classics

I found a few treasures at an estate sale this morning. Mastering the Art of French Cooking and Larousse Gastronomique.

Each book was $1, in great good condition and definitely in my budget!

Both classics have been reprinted, revised and updated multiple times over the years so I know that there may be newer items in the more recent versions but I feel that these books should be as close to the original as possible. I enjoy old books where the original owner/cook writes notes in the margins and have old recipes torn from magazines hidden in the pages!

The copy I purchased of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck was the 13th printing in 1966. This cookbook is what inspired Julie Powell to cook all 524 recipes in 365 days. She wrote about it on her blog, wrote a book, and now a movie based on the book will be in theatres August 7th! It will be fun to make some authentic French recipes from the legendary Julia Child!


Larousse Gastronomique is the encyclopedia of food, wine and cookery with 8,500 recipes 1,000 illustrations and 1,100 pages. Originally in French and published in 1938, my copy is the first American edition and was published in 1961. It's an A-Z encyclopedia of food terms, recipes, herbs, history and so much more! Just glancing through I found quite a few terms/herbs/recipes I have never come across. For example: Vierge--Butter mixed with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, all beaten well in a bowl until it becomes frothy. This whipped butter is served with asparagus and other boiled vegetables.

I'm excited to read through and learn more about French cooking, language and traditions!

3 comments:

Sophie said...

I haver read this famous book before!

have fun with it!

number17cherrytreelane said...

wanna go see the Julia Child movie coming out with Meryl Streep?

SinoSoul said...

whoah. each book for $1. that's like.. $0.00015 cent per page for Child's book. killer find!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin