Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vintage Cake Stand & Pottery

My mom and I went to the Long Beach Antique Swap Meet this past weekend and I found a few wonderful items! The swap meet is so large and I don't think we even made it through half of the vendors. I found these wonderful hobnail white milk glass pedestal bowls both for $10. And my mom had the ruffled candy jar that she gave to me later that day! Then I spied this absolutely beautiful vintage pink glass cake pedestal also in a hobnail pattern. I bargained the vendor down to $40 which is a good price for this piece. I found other colors online--at MoleHillFarm--for around $55 and other vendors at the swap meet were selling similar styles for around $90! After a bit of research I found that this is handmade in two pieces, then joined with molten glass. The base and skirt of the plate are covered with the distinctive bumps of the hobnail pattern. The maker is L.E. Smith Glass in Pennsylvania. It's also available in a beautiful green milk glass (or jadeite), lime green, cobalt blue, amethyst, yellow, amber and ice blue.

My house was in need of some greenery and preferably something that wouldn't require to much care, would stay green and look beautiful. I had some orange pots as well as some pottery that my brother made in high school and I decided that cacti and succulents would be perfect! I love how these add a nice splash of color around the house.

Succulents in orange pots and vintage milk glass vases.

Succulents and cacti, in orange pots and vintage milk glass, adorn the dining room table.

View from the dining room showing milk glass vases, bowls, orange pots and artwork by our friend Casey Hanrahan.

6 comments:

number17cherrytreelane said...

You are a hidden photographer! Your pictures are always amazing! So colorful. You were right about that cake stand--a GREAT find! Let's have a cupcake party with them! Oooooh. Let's add that to our list of "events" we need to throw!

carissa said...

LOVE milkglass and that cake stand is to die for!

Melissa said...

the photos of the cake plate are GORGEOUS!

Wok Through the Fire said...

Oh oh oh!! I am sooo jealous. I love vintage cake plates. You found some beautiful treasures. Lucky!!!

Elra said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Love them all. I have the 12" green Jadite milk glass from the same company. I use it all the time. Thanks for the link. I am planning to buy one or two more cake stands.

Tara Naugher said...

I love the pretty pink cake stand pictured above. :) I am looking for one or two to use in my wedding in October but am having a hard time. Are yours for sale?
naugher@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin