Thursday, June 11, 2009
The Most Important Meal of the Day
I've been thinking about breakfast a lot recently. Since childhood, I grew up eating breakfast every morning and those days when I didn't eat it I would be starving and weak in just a short amount of time. Growing up my breakfast mostly consisted of cereal, either hot or cold. No fruit, sometimes toast with pb or jelly. Or a pop-tart! We would often eat breakfast for dinner and that is when I would enjoy eggs, pancakes, and toast.
As I've gotten older my breakfast was still mostly a bowl of cereal during the week with eggs/pancakes/waffles enjoyed on the weekends.
I've gotten into a bad habit lately...not eating breakfast or just grabbing coffee and a doughnut. There are many excuses...I woke up late, didn't have time to make anything, not really hungry, the list goes on and on. And I've found myself skipping lunch as well and not eating until 3pm! This is not a good habit so I'm trying to fix it.
That is where make-ahead breakfast burritos, scones, muffins, fruit salad come into play. I need something that I can grab, eat before I leave or eat on the run--I know, it's probably not wise to eat while driving but sometimes you do what you have to do!
So today I make 10 breakfast burritos. Loaded with eggs, cheese, bell pepper, onion, green chile and bacon. I could have gone with low fat cheese, turkey bacon and so on but I wanted to have a substantial, high-protein breakfast that would satisfy both my hunger and my husbands! These are now in the freezer and will be ready for those mornings when I just don't have time to sit down to a proper breakfast. I made a few muffins as well since sometimes eggs + an early morning just don't mix.
Let's hope that this will help with my unhealthy new habit and keep me from grabbing a doughnut/bagel with cream cheese when the hunger strikes!
What do you eat for breakfast? Are you a cereal person, eggs, pancakes, waffles? I do mostly crave doughnuts, muffins, scones, pastries but I know its better to eat frittata's, omelets, fruits and things that are bit more healthy!
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos Makes 8
8 burrito-size flour tortillas
1/2 cup milk
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 4oz. can green chilies
1/2 medium onion, diced
8 slices bacon, diced
2 cups shredded cheese (I use a combination of cheddar & jack)
Salt & pepper
1. Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add diced bacon. Saute until cooked through and crisp. Remove bacon and place in bowl. Pour out all but 1 tbs. bacon grease (save another 1 tbs for the eggs). Add bell pepper, chiles and onion to skillet and saute until soft 4-5 minutes. Remove mixture and place in bowl.
3. Add remaining 1 tbs bacon grease to skillet. When hot add egg mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cook eggs.
4. Heat tortillas in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
5. Top tortillas with eggs, cheese, bell pepper mixture and bacon (just eyeball the amounts and make sure you have enough of everything to finish 8 complete tortillas). Roll up burrito-style. Wrap in aluminum foil and freeze. When frozen place in freezer-safe bag for storage.
6. To heat in oven: Preheat oven to 350. Heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
7. To heat in microwave: Remove and save foil. Wrap in napkin or paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Wrap back in foil to keep hot if you plan to travel with the burrito.
Enjoy and have a great breakfast!