Monday, May 25, 2009

L.A. Eating & Sightseeing Tour: Day 1

We fit quite a lot into our 3-day vacation in L.A. Ate tons of wonderful food, went to many historical places and had a great time!

First stop was breakfast. Nickel Diner in downtown L.A. Started out with 2 types of doughnut holes, bacon and strawberry crumb. The strawberry crumb were so delicious that I decided that I need to replicate those at home! I tried huevos rancheros for the first time and loved it! Brian had the sausage scramble which he loved as well.


Then on to the Natural History Museum. I feel like I was here as a kid, though I don't really remember. Apparently Friday is "kid's day" at the museum because there were so many schools there with students. So it was a bit hard to navigate around the hordes of kids but we managed. The amount of work that is put into the diorama's, both large and small, is incredible and so fun to look at.

Just outside the Museum was the Butterfly Pavilion. Amazing to see so many beautiful butterflies in one place.

Lunch at Langer's Deli. Classic pastrami sandwich with swiss cheese, on rye. So good!


We stayed at the Farmer's Daughter hotel at 3rd & Fairfax, right across the street from the Farmer's Market. I loved the atmosphere of this place. So relaxing and fun. And such a good location shopping at the Grove and tons of food options at the Farmer's Market.


And dinner. A fabulous end to the day. We arrived a bit early at Tavern to have a few drinks at the bar (blood orange sour, dark & stormy) and ended up chatting with some very friendly people. Tavern has only been open for 3 weeks, the place was packed and the food was just as good as we expected!

Here's a rundown of what we ate, starting with my dinner:

1st course--Spring vegetables (fava beans, asparagus, peas, broccoli rabe, cauliflower), buratta cheese, meyer lemon and olives
Main course--Hangar steak, creamed spinach, fingerling potatoes
Dessert--Beignets, chicory-chocolate sauce, peanut-caramel sorbet

1st course (Brian)--Duck sausage, pancetta, frisee
Main course--Lamb, white beans, feta salsa verde

Let me say, the food was absolutely amazing and definitely worth waiting for the reservation! I want to buy the peanut-caramel sorbet by the gallon!

A great day for our 10th anniversary and more food and fun followed...

4 comments:

number17cherrytreelane said...

It all looks like SO much fun! The museum is on my LIST now!
The pics are so great and I'm so happy you were able to celebrate together.
Marriage is a wonderful thing.
Congratulations!

Sophie said...

Hello April, It looks that you & your husband had a great eh,..;excellent time! Your pictures are beauties as allways! Neat!

Leah said...

This is amazing!! I am really eager to try Tavern soon. Hope to see you soon! Leah

the Clarksters said...

Oh my... what a dream anniversary!! You two look like you had a blast together! It's good to see you both enjoying common interests!!! Well done! And how did you set up your cool photo formats? I like that concept of mini collage type sets... that's really cool! I'd like to try that too!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin