Thursday, May 21, 2009

BBA Challenge Week 2: Artos Greek Celebration Bread


Artos: Greek Celebration Bread. I have to say that I've always skipped past this recipe in The Bread Bakers Apprentice. No reason in particular, it just didn't grab my interest. And I am sad that I have not made this delicious bread sooner! A dough that is sweetened & made rich with honey, eggs, olive oil and milk. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, lemon extract and almond extract add the wonderful spice to the sweet dough.


I made the basic Greek Celebration Bread and used half of the dough to create the look of the nativity Christopsomos and with the other half I made mini loaves using a cupcake pan. This smelled absolutely divine while it was cooking and all I could imagine was eating a slice with a little cinnamon-apple butter and a cup of vanilla rooibos tea. And I also plan to make cinnamon toast, french toast with caramelized apples and creme fraiche. Oh the wonderful possibilities!

Since I had so much extra and couldn't let this go to waste I froze a few loafs and then I shared with my neighbors and friends. They are definitely going to enjoy this BBA Challenge as much as I am!

4 comments:

susies1955 said...

Glad you made the loaf you have been skipping over. :) It look wonderful.
Great to be baking along with you.
Susie

Sophie said...

MMMM....April, these breads look fabulous!! You have lucky neighbours!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

We loved this bread too. Such a delicious blend of flavours. Yours looks delicious and beautifully formed. Are you going to try the Bagels? They were way too much fun! :)

April said...

I've been so busy that I am a few weeks behind! I haven't made the bagels yet but I've made both the brioche and castelliano breads before and they are great! I'm still planning to try the bagels, hopefully soon!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin