Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Apple Strudel & My First Daring Bakers Challenge


I finally joined the Daring Bakers and the first challenge was Strudel dough. I have to say I wasn't entirely motivated by this challenge. I though for awhile about what type of filling I wanted to make but couldn't decide so I just made the basic apple filling, without any nuts or raisins since I'm not a huge fan of those in my desserts.

I didn't get my dough to roll out as big as I should have--well, I just didn't try hard enough since I was in a hurry--so it was a bit thick and didn't have many flaky layers surrounding the filling. And to be honest, I was disappointed by the flavor of the dough, very bland and flavorless. Pastry dough, pie dough, all those are normally my favorite part of a dessert and I was hopeful with this dough but it just didn't hit the spot. I feel like I was missing an ingredient but I double-checked the recipe and had everything it should. I'm not sure if I'll try strudel again, maybe if I'm able to perfect the rolling/stretching of the dough and adding a bit more flavor to the pastry itself.



I'm looking forward to next month's challenge, here is the info about the challenge for this month.

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caf├ęs of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

MMMMM....April: it looked that you did a great job!!
An excellent dessert & wonderfully presented,....yummmie!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin