Friday, April 24, 2009

The Garden: Spring

Apple Blossom


I finally planted the last of my vegetable seedlings, at least for now! I always seem to purchase even more as the seasons go on and fit them in here and there. I was a little lazy in removing all of last years plants and as a result I have tomatoes, lettuce, arugula and chamomile popping up everywhere! I let them go to seed and the seeds were blown in the wind, eventually watered and now are producing wonderful vegetables! I think I had about 30 tomato seedlings growing and I've significantly reduced those but kept quite a few. So I have at least 3 different types from last year (San Marzano, Yellow Pear, Green Zebra) and I added 2 more (Brandywine, Stupice). The seedlings are already producing flowers and that is a good sign!

Tomato (Yellow Pear, I think!)

Tomatoes, Chilies

I wasn't able to use my compost this year, I neglected it a bit and it just wasn't ready. But by the Fall it should be ready to go!

Here is a list of what is in my garden:


In Pots:
Fuji apple
Meyer lemon
Lime
Almond
Ginko biloba


In beds/ground:
Grapes
Lettuce
Strawberries
Fennel
Lemon verbena
Lemon balm
Parsley
Green beans (2 types)
Zucchini
Japanese cucumber
Basil
Serrano chili
Thai chili
Jalapeno chili
Tomatoes (5 types)
Red bell pepper
Yellow bell pepper
Arugula
Lavender
Rosemary
Thyme
Artichoke

Can't wait to plant even more and I look forward to preparing lots of wonderful meals this Summer!

2 comments:

Sophie said...

April, you have a beautiful mini garden!
My father has a vegatble, fruit & herb garden! I use a lot of his produce. He grows a lot of forgotten vegetables!
Enjoy it!! There is nothing better than eating from your own garden! Yummie!

number17cherrytreelane said...

I am SO JEALOUS of your garden. I only have two herbs growing right now and I love your set up!!! Can't wait to hear how it all tastes!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin