Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Cinnamon-Vanilla Nut Granola


I've been on a kick lately of eating Greek-style yogurt with fresh fruit and granola. Once I realized how simple it was to make my own granola I decided to try it out...and it is incredible! I'm able to customize the flavors to my own tastes and the variety of options are unlimited. This cinnamon-vanilla combination has a perfect balance of salty and sweet.

Cinnamon-Vanilla Nut Granola

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (I like to use a multi grain mixture that contains oats, rye, barley and wheat)
1/2-1 cup sliced almonds (or any combination of nuts)
1/4 cup whole flaxseeds
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if using salted nuts)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey (spray measuring cup with cooking oil so the honey will not stick and will flow out easily)
Optional: dried fruit

Preheat oven to 300.

Combine the oats, nuts, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Melt the butter and stir into the honey along with the vanilla. Pour the butter-honey mixture over the oats and mix until thoroughly moistened.

Pour onto 2 baking sheets (coat with cooking oil or line with parchment) with rims.

Bake until evenly toasted, 30-40 minutes. Halfway through baking, stir and put back into the oven to finish baking.

Remove from the oven and allow to cook. If using fruit, stir in after cool. Store in airtight container.

Enjoy with milk, over yogurt or on its own! It would also be a great base for granola bars or a topping for blueberry muffins.

2 comments:

Vera said...

It looks wonderful, April! I miss these sunny days :) Beautiful photos!

April said...

Thanks Vera! And I'm looking forward to trying your Barbagliata and I aspire to make the Milk Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart--Looks amazing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin