Monday, February 23, 2009

Fresh from the Refrigerator: Corn Cakes

In my efforts to be less wasteful of food, I also took inventory of my refrigerator and pantry in addition to the freezer. The first Fresh from the Freezer meal was delicious and this time I decided to try a little appetizer with ingredients from my refrigerator, pantry and garden. I came across the recipe for these cornmeal cakes and adapted the toppings slightly based on what I had on hand.

The cakes were light corn flavor, doughy and balanced perfectly with the tangy goat cheese, sweet honey and fresh thyme. I enjoyed these appetizers for lunch and think they would pair well with a nice white wine. Next time I will add some crisp prosciutto or maybe diced red bell pepper. I think my pulled pork would also be wonderful with this corn cake. So many options!


Corn Cakes with Goat Cheese, Honey and Thyme
Makes approximately 12 mini cakes
Adapted from The Food of Northern Spain by Jenny Chandler

1/2 cup masa harina (you can also use cornmeal or polenta)
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup boiling water
6 ounces goat cheese (roquefort or other cheeses can be substituted)
5 tbs wildflower honey
2 tbs thyme

Combine masa, flour and salt in bowl. Add boiling water and mix until dough is formed, adding more water if necessary.

Let sit until cool enough to handle. Roll into walnut-sized balls and with dampened hands flatten to 1/2" thick.

Heat olive oil in skillet. Add cakes and fry until completely golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Top with cheese, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

ourlifeinfood said...

These look really delicious. I love any type of fritters,etc., and goat cheese is my favorite! Can't wait to give these a try.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

We really need to plan a dinner party soon! I will bring dessert if you make the dinner!

Sophie said...

MMMMMM...I love those appetizers!! Thanks!! Lovely flavours!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin