Friday, February 6, 2009

Chocolate "Le Kit Cat" Bar


I recently blogged about one of my favorite cookbooks, Happy in the Kitchen by Michel Richard. The recipes sound incredible and Friday night I was able to dine at his restaurant Citrus at Social in Hollywood. I was so excited to try his food and as part of dineLA restaurant week a 3-course dinner was $34 plus $15 for wine pairing. My dishes were very good...Goat Cheese Caesar Salad, Arctic Char and the Chocolate Bar. But the best course was dessert! The flavors were reminiscent of Kit Kat Bar combined with Ferrero Rocher chocolate. I remembered that there was a recipe for this in his cookbook and I couldn't wait to make it.



This is a very simple dessert and doesn't require any baking. The bottom layer is peanut butter, milk chocolate and crushed cornflakes or rice crisps. I tried a spoonful of this and wanted to just eat the entire bowl. The milk chocolate added just a bit of sweetness, the peanut butter flavor wasn't overpowering and the rice crisps were the perfect texture. I'm trying to think of other desserts that I can pair with this combination...a chocolate truffle would be wonderful!

The top layer is whipped cream folded into melted dark chocolate. This is layered on top of the peanut butter and chilled for 4 hours.

How does mine compare with what I had at the restaurant? The texture is different but the one I made at home is just perfect! And the best part is I can make it anytime I have a craving!



Le Kit Cat (Adapted from Happy in the Kitchen by Michel Richard)
Makes approximately 16 bars

Bottom Layer:
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons peanut oil
7 ounces milk chocolate, melted and at body temperature
1 1/4 cups crushed brown rice crisps

Top Layer:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
5 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate, melted and at body temperature

Line an 8" square pan with plastic wrap, letting it overhang on all sides.

For the bottom layer, place the peanut butter and oil in mixer (use whisk attachment). Whip on medium speed until combined and light in color, 2-3 minutes. Reduce to low, add the chocolate and mix until combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the rice crisps.

Pour into prepared pan, spread into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.

For the top layer, whip the cream (using whisk attachment) until soft peaks form. Place chocolate in a large bowl. Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate, then fold in the remaining cream.

Pour mixture over the bottom layer and spread evenly. Bang the pan against the work surface to eliminate air bubbles. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.

When ready to serve, remove from pan and remove the plastic. Cut into sixteen 4-by-1-inch bars. Cut the bars with warm large knife, clean and dry in between cuts. Dust the tops with cocoa powder and top with chopped hazelnuts.




4 comments:

Ladelle said...

I had the privilege of trying these bars and might I say "It was pure heaven"! They just melted in your mouth. Thank you for letting your Dad and I try these yummy delights.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Next time we get together I HAVE to get that recipe! I am dying over here!

katskitchen said...

That looks awesome! I can just taste the pb and chocolate looking at the pictures

Mary said...

I am making this asap! I LOVE kit-kat and can't wait to make this! Thanks for the recipe!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin