I recently learned how to make Risotto and it's one of my favorite comfort foods to make. It's really not as complicated or involved as people may think. It comes together easily and you don't have to stir constantly. I had some fresh asparagus and potatoes from the farmers market and thought that would be a hearty combination.
The ingredients for Risotto:
1. Potatoes and asparagus
2. Diced shallots, minced garlic, butter, salt, pepper
3. Parmesan cheese, lemon rind, arborio rice
4. Lemon and Parmesan cheese
White wine, olive oil (not shown)
Simmer water (with crushed garlic cloves) or stock in pot.
5. Add butter and olive oil to skillet, melt butter
6. Add shallots and saute until caramelized. Add garlic.
7. Add potatoes and rice, saute 1 minute until grains are coated with oil and butter.
8. Stir. And the beautiful custom spoon was a gift from my friend--so fun having my business name on something I use everyday!
9. Add white wine. Stir until absorbed.
10. Add hot water/stock one ladle-full at a time until each is absorbed. Stir.
11. Once all the liquid has been added and rice is al dente, add asparagus.
12. Add one last ladle of liquid along with the salt, pepper, lemon zest and Parmesan. Cover with lid and remove from heat. Let sit for 1-2 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
The finished product was delicious! Creamy, with just a touch of lemon, the flavors are very fresh and comforting. And I love these red Le Cruset petite casserole dishes and try to find any excuse to use them.
There are many ingredients that can be added to a basic Risotto...mushrooms, brocolli, shrimp, pumpkin, peas, pretty much anything you can imagine. Enjoy!