Sunday, February 15, 2009

Aprons: Sometimes Cheezy, Sometimes Cute and Always Practical

I think I've always loved aprons. I remember as a child whenever I would cook with my mom she would open the bottom drawer in the kitchen and I would choose an apron to wear. The one I remember most was yellow and white with front pockets and it buttoned in the back. I think it was homemade but I'm not sure, I'm going to find out if she still has that one! I have a small collection of pretty aprons (mostly from Anthropologie)--I even sewed one awhile back--and then of course my practical work aprons. But I am always looking for new cute aprons that I can wear both at home and at work. Here are a few aprons I found that inspire me to want to get in the kitchen and cook!

Butcher Apron, Sara Smedley

Candied Ginger Chefs Apron, BellaBeeDesigns


Yellow Birds Vintage Apron, bambinoamore

Sassy Chic Apron, SugarPieChic


I also had to share a few adorable kids aprons--my niece would love these!

Left: Little Birdies Cooking Apron, artandphilantrophy Right: Brown Owl Pinafore, humblebea


A few books on the subject of Aprons

The Apron Book by EllynAnne Geisel; Aprons of the Mid-20th Century by Judy Florence


And checkout this wonderful blog dedicated to Aprons at The Apronista.

4 comments:

Pearl said...

I am a big fan of aprons myself! There's a store in one of the malls around here filled with cooking and baking tools, and they always have a display of aprons and dishtowels at the entrance. Every time we walk by, I have to stop and squeal and eye them longingly until my friends tug me away with bemused expressions.

Who can resist a well designed apron, though? I sure can't...

Unfortunately, I haven't worn an apron for home-cooking purposes since I was a little girl. My grandmother had a delightful collection, but I think they wound up in some musty box in storage after she died. My mother was never too big on them. Pity... I think I'll just have to start my own collection. :)

By the way, I love the second and third aprons you featured. They're delightful! And that shade of yellow always makes me think of brighter, cheery times. Perfect for baking!

Barnes Blog said...

Ok, this has nothing to do with aprons, which BTW I love, my question is actually about the paint color in your kitchen, I love it. do you remember the name of that color and where you got it?
Thanks!

Keara

Seymour said...

Nice blog post. I really love lot cooking aprons. Keep updating you blog.

Aprons for Anyone said...

Learn why Aprons are very special to us and why they became a part of hospitality and service industry at http://www.jazzbassment.com/general-info/aprons-for-anyone.php

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin