It's been awhile since I have posted and I have to thank my friend Rose for pushing me to keep up with it!!
With all the news, books and publicity out there about food safety, I have been increasingly more aware of where my food comes from. I can get my fruit and vegetables from a farmer's market and talk to the farmer's or employees, I get my eggs from a friend who has chickens (thanks Denise!), but my meat comes from who knows where! So I decided that I was going to find a way to get my meat straight from the farm.
After much research I stumbled across a website with tons of resources for farms in Northern California. Some offered beef, lamb and chicken while others were more specialized. I decided to try beef for my first purchase. I narrowed down my choices to those that would ship the beef to me. I went back and forth to many wonderful websites and I finally settled on Lazy 69 Ranch.
Here is why I choose Lazy 69 Ranch:
1. I could buy 1/10 of beef (40 lbs) at a good price, the others offered much larger packages of beef.
2. They dry-age their beef for 21 days.
3. USDA grass-fed cattle. No hormones, antibiotics, or additives.
4. Organic practices are high on their list. Though they aren't certified organic they are reaching "beyond organic".
5. Wonderful, quick service with really friendly owners (Dan & Malinda) and they work with you to make sure you are getting what you want.
6. Cooking tips are available on their website which is good since grass-fed beef cooks a little different than grain-fed.
My first shipment arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to try the beef. You will be hearing a lot more about this as I go through all the different cuts of beef and recipes!