Monday, April 2, 2007

H&H Nursery

In planning my vegetable, fruit and herb container garden this year, I found out about H&H Nursery in Lakewood. I wanted find something different than Armstrong, Home Depot or Lowe's and this is a great find! H&H has so many different varieties of trees, flowers, fruits and vegetables that it was hard to choose what to bring home!

In lieu of a large orchard, I buy the semi-dwarf or dwarf fruit and citrus trees and keep them in containers. This year I added to my collection with a Fuji apple tree, an almond tree and a papaya tree. The 5 gallon apple and almond tree were $30 each and the 2 gallon papaya tree was $20. I also bought most of my herbs and vegetable plants from there as well. The price for the 4" plants were $2.49 each--just a little more than you would pay at the grocery store and you don't have to drive to the store for just a little sprig.

They have very reasonable prices for organic gardening and potting soil. 1.5 cu ft for $7.99 for the potting soil. I also saw the cocoa shell mulch and if you are wondering if it smells like chocolate, yes, it does! I was tempted to get it but since my dog loves to eat almost everything, I wasn't sure if the cocoa shells would harm her so I resisted. But I will do some research to see if it would be dangerous and if not, I will get some cocoa mulch!

Check out their newsletter for news, tips and a recipe of the week. http://www.hhnursery.com/current/

H&H Nursery
6220 Lakewood Blvd
Lakewood, CA 90712
Hours:
Mon-Fri 7:30-5:30
Sat 8:00-5:30
Sun 9:00-4:30

1 comment:

JdB said...

definitely DON'T buy the cocoa mulch!! I saw an article a few months ago about how dogs can't resist the smell and want to eat it. Since it does contain chocolate, it's fatal to them. The Nursery sounds awesome though!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin