Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Coffee and Tea Infused Chocolate Truffles


After trying the disappointing chocolate at the chocolate festival this past weekend, I decided to try making my own. I went with the basic chocolate truffle--bittersweet chocolate and cream, coated with chocolate then tossed in cocoa powder. I loved the taste of the truffles so much that I had to try them infused with coffee and tea.

There are a few different ways to infuse the flavor into the truffles. Depending on the item you either infuse it in the cream the day before or you infuse into the cream after heating it and before you pour onto the chocolate. For both the coffee and tea I added each into the cream for 24 hours before heating, chilling, shaping and eating.


For the coffee flavor I used Winter Blend from It's A Grind Coffee House. Winter Blend is a combination of vanilla, cinnamon, hazelnut, irish cream and other spices. It is one of my favorite coffee's and it makes a perfect match for the bittersweet chocolate.




I went with Tea du Hammam Rouge for the other truffle. A new tea that I have been enjoying from Le Palais des Thes, I thought it would be a great compliment to the chocolate. It is a fruity red tea with green date pulp, red fruits and I think passion fruit.

The flavors were subtle with the first bite but with each additional bite the flavor intensified and both were great! I am so happy they turned out so good and I am planning to try the next batch with rosemary and other herbs.

A few of my favorite chocolate cookbooks, where I got my inspiration:

Bittersweet by Alice Medrich
La Maison du Chocolat by Robert Linxe
Truffles, Candies, and Confections: Techniques and Recipes for Candymaking by Carole Bloom



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin